Tuesday, August 16, 2011

WEEK 1!!!!!!

Exciting! What a fun day.  I want to thank each of you for sharing your precious children with me.  I can tell this is going to be an awesome year of Challenge A!

Business notes:
-If you have not gotten your tuition check to me, please drop me a line.
-I will cover snack next week, starting week 3 I will have a sign up sheet for snack.   Snack can be very simple or elaborate, it is whatever fits how you roll.  (i.e. This week I did convenience.  Next week I may bake.)
-Right now we do not have access to a microwave or "fridge", this may change in the very near future, but for next week please keep this in mind.
-As of this point we do have a full class
-We are going by the guide this week, if there are an questions and the blog/guide do not answer them, please feel free to call or email me.  I am happy to help :)
-We talked about SMALL THINGS DONE DAILY! They will be so sick of hearing this...but it is true.  Set a timer.  Work on memory work daily.  Understanding will come.

Away we go!

Saxon 8/7
Ms. Sharon shared with me this morning that she has found a replacement for her.  (Who she will actually be subbing for some)  Her name is Mary, and she is gone through the Classical program.  She tutors Math for a living and everyone gives her a 5 start rating.  After much prayer, Sharon decided that the longer drive wasn't a good match.  But we will still see her when Mary needs a sub.
Homework: Lessons 5-8

Algebra 1/2
We went over lessons 5 - 8 and enjoyed the room while it was cool!
Homework: Lessons 5-8

Latin
We introduced Nouns in Latin.  We walked through how we would decline a noun in English and showed how Latin would decline a noun. 
Homework: In Blue Grammar Book Start to memorize #1-#33; in Purple book, read pages 3 - 5

BBW
We reviewed how to put together a "big boy" outline using roman numerals and numbers.  We discussed the dress ups of -ly words and who/which clause.  We also talked about the invisible who/which clause. We emphasized the writing process: ROUGH DRAFT-REVISE-MAYBE REVISE AGAIN- FINAL
Homework: Hire an Editor. Lessons 3 from your BBW book.  A paragraph is due WITH THE CHECK SHEET ATTACHED

Rhetoric
We talked about ourselves and what we like and don't like.  This is the hour we will take prayer requests and praises.  We talked about what the year will hold for Rhetoric as well. 
Homework for TEACHER AND CHILD :) Read the 1st chapter of each book and use the study guide sheets in the front of the blue binder and the "workouts" in the back of the blue binder.  I will be looking for these to be filled out next week.  Start memorizing Cat Questions #1 - #3 (Parents, I highly encourage you to read the chapters along with your child.  Start some classical conversations of you own :)

Science:  We practiced our research skils by using 2 sources to write a paragraph on the Sphynx cat. 
Homework: Research Protozoa/Algae (this can be general or specific) Just the facts please, one paragraph long.  Bibliography a MUST and picture is essential.  See email for attachments for this.

Geography: I always love to see everyone's faces when I tell them what the final goal for the year is :)  Just remember small things done daily.  I handed out their Geography notebook.  (no comments on my Mexico please LOL)  The Geography notebook is just a tool.  The real goal is for them to draw from scratch the US.
Homework: Draw the United States at least three times a day.  Know your states and capitals.  Don't forget your Geography terms, page 92 in your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment