Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Week 1..part 2

What an awesome first day!! Well, I was thrilled anyway.  While the kids were not necessarily thrilled, I do believe they enjoyed being altogether again.  We enjoyed sharing a bit about our break, and how blessed we each were at Christmas time.

Two shout outs!  1-Thank you parents for timely payments today!!  My directors payment to CC is due right around the corner and I very much appreciate that. 2- These kids rock when it comes to cleaning up our room!! They got right to it and knocked it out without me having to say a word!!

Business Notes: If we have any lost days due to snow, I will send out an email as soon as I know and call everyone personally.  Usually, all the Westside directors will try to make the decision the night before (due to many driving long distances).

I will be sending out an email this week about ski dates.  My children and I have enjoyed many nearby slopes home school ski dates at wonderful rates.  This year I thought we would post the dates of when we were going and if anyone wants to join us, or would like a ride (We have 4 extra seats) they are welcome to.

Mark your calendars!  February 22nd  is Pancake Breakfast, YUMMM!!!!  I come early and flip some flapjacks for Challenge A and B.  We usually start eating around 8:30am.  One word....bacon!  More details to come.

And away we go!

Algebra: I believe today I became the world's most "loved" math tutor.  I explained the answer to why we study Algebra.  I also discussed the grammar of the math language and how we have reached the level where they just need to set aside time every day to just work on the grammar of math.  Set a timer if they need to. (Consider it Algebra Memory Master:)
Homework:  I am only having them do up to Lesson #67, make sure we understand the elimination method

Rhetoric:  Discussion today was amazing.  I was afraid with visitors coming in and out that it might disrupt the flow a bit, if anything, they seemed to shine even more.  We talked about how the end to Catechism questions is in sight and will give them time to play catch up if needed.
Homework: Chapter 16 in both books and questions up to 48

Science:  Great reports on marsupials!  I also let them in on the fact that we will be doing science experiments to go along with the anatomy we will be learning about.  There is an important decision to make....pig or shark!
Homework:  Report on bats

Literature: I do not even know which adjectives to choose to describe the conversation we had on Carry On Mr Bowditch today.  Everyone participated and everyone had fantastic contributions! I just kept thinking, this is how Leigh Bortins planned it to be :)  We talked a bit on how to structure our paper.  I gave them a few handouts that you may wish to go through with them at home.  It is to be in essay form.  It should contain an introductory paragraph, each paragraph is a detail, and a conclusion paragraph.  The checklist needs to be attached to their essay.  I realize that sometimes parents (especially when you are trying to proof 3 or more children's papers) may not always get a chance to proof.  On the checklist, just do not check those boxes.  The checklist is a guideline for how it should be on a week when it is flowing and all comes together.  (Not the week where you may be passing around flu)  The handouts I gave them today were to support good habits I hope to groom in them for their Challenge "career".  How to read a book for understanding, how to structure their writing, and the writing process itself are skills they begin this semester through the literature seminar and will continue to grow in Challenge B.  Oh, we also had a blast playing a new game I received for Christmas...Now What?
Homework: Contrast what Bowditch accomplished as a teen in school, work, and recreation with today's teens in those three areas.

Geography: I encouraged them to spend at least 15 minutes a day on review.  Maybe picking a different region each day.  We discussed the classical model as well and what it meant to study the grammar of a subject and why we study geography this way.  I also encouraged them again to bring in any presentations they would like.  I will be presenting on Hong Kong! (probably next week)
Homework: Review and start in on Asia.  Practice drawing countries and capitals.

Latin: We tied in the same conversation we had in geography concerning grammar.  This week introduces an enormous amount of grammar for Latin.  (Principal parts of verbs, macrons, syllables, and accents)  I encouraged them to take the time to memorize it now, then it's done.  It will make it so much easier.  The understanding will come.
Homework: Pages 39-48 in their LNST level 4 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment